Humana Medicare Advantage Plan Replaces HMSA Akamai Advantage Plan
Our Retiree Health & Welfare plan offers generously subsidized benefits that are some of the richest health care benefits in the construction industry. With health care cost rising each year, Plan cost must be constantly monitored and managed to continue offering these rich benefits. A change to your Medicare-eligible retiree benefits enabled us to maintain affordable Retiree Health & Welfare contribution rates for the upcoming year. Effective January 1, 2023, the Humana Medicare Advantage Plan will fully replace the Fund’s current Hawaii Medical Service Association (HMSA) Akamai Advantage Plan and will cover medical costs for the Fund’s enrolled Medicare-eligible participants.With the Humana MA Plan:
- You can choose any Medicare provider but you will save money by using providers from our large network.
- You don’t need a referral to see any doctor.
- You will have access to Humana’s well-being tools and resources to help you reach your personal health goals.
- If you are currently covered by the HMSA Plan, you will automatically be transferred to the Humana Medicare Advantage Plan effective for services on January 1, 2023, unless you make alternative arrangements through Humana or by contacting the Plan Administrator.
- You were sent your Humana enrollment packet in the mail in November 2022. Review the materials carefully.
- For more information about the Humana Medicare Advantage Plan, please call Humana Group Customer Care to speak to a licensed sales agent. Humana Group Medicare Customer Care 1-800-824-8242 (TTY: 711), Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 8 p.m., Eastern time.
Please note that the switch to Humana only relates to your medical plan for Medicare-eligible participants under our retiree plan. This change does not affect your existing prescription, drug, vision, or dental plan coverage.
On November 8, 2022, we hosted a Humana meeting for all Medicare Retirees to discuss the switch to the Humana Medicare Advantage Plan and what to expect going forward. It allowed our members to meet our Humana representatives and address any concerns they had. Our Health & Welfare plan has experienced significant premium increases from HMSA over the past decade. If a switch was not made soon, these increases would have been passed to our retirees. Our switch to Humana has allowed us to significantly decrease our retiree contribution rates for all Medicare-Retiree members effective January 1, 2023. For those of you who could not attend the November meeting, Humana will be hosting a webinar for all Medicare Retirees on January 26, 2023 to share important information and answer questions about your Humana plan. An invitation will be sent to you providing further information on how to register for this virtual event.